Thursday 23 February 2012

The Quest

Finding places that are able to make dishes tasty AND Gluten Free (GF) is an ongoing quest. That is not to say there are not plenty of great restaurants willing and able to accomodate but I have a passion for asian food and a GF girlfriend, so teaming the two has sometimes been challenging to say the least.

Vietnamese is high on my favourite list but I have found one of the major stumbling blocks in eating GF in "authentic" asian restaurants is the language hurdle. I say hurdle rather than barrier because you can leap it athletically it if you are skilled and practiced but it can be a hazardous, tedious learning curve.

Try asking someone who understands Gluten in their own terms whether the food is Gluten Free. Asian cuisine has Glutinous rice, packets of gluten, use wheat flour and rice flour..but some rice flour contains wheat flour...etc etc. Now add a dash of language hurdle...and you get the picture.

In this blog I will be featuring restaurants, recipes and of course the dishes we eat, as we attempt to accomodate a GF diner and myself, a diner who doesn't want to be scowelled at for having bread!

No comments: